Monday 22 November 2010

Who is this mother?

It is important to me that, before I do anything, I explain a little about what it is I am trying to achieve. I do not see this an opportunity for another parent to rhapsodise about her celebrated offspring who "actually walked out of my womb and slept through the night before they were born!" Or, conversely, an opportunity for yet another whinging character to limp on about the "five minutes sleep I had last night makes the no time I have to myself so impossible for me to iron the curtains and cook the thousands of people, who really don't give a sh!t, ridiculous baked goods so that I can look like I have it all perfectly under control." NO,NO, NO, this is just me, voicing my thoughts in the hope that maybe one other person (maybe even two, I'm not into thinking big) might empathise/despise and share their musings with me, just so as to pass the motherly, or fatherly, time of day.

My first port of call, Phil and Ted's double buggies (of which I have the Dash!)


Firstly, heartfelt congratulations to both Phil and Ted, they saw a gap in the market and they filled it. Let's be honest, we'd all love a gap in the market, that we can fill, to fall into our lap, but until it happens, it's a lot harder to do than it sounds. So again, well done Phil and Ted.

Secondly, this "rugged and reliable pushchair" has to be the bane of my sorry existence. You need a house to house it in, even if it's folded down. When it is folded down you need the strength of at least ten bears to lift it and that's without children in it. How do you get it up steps and into shops without pulling your arms out of their sockets, knocking your knees on either your babies head or the back of the second seat or removing your children before going up the steps? should you want to get it in and out of the car on any occasion, just how much straining, cursing and swearing is acceptable when looking after two young children? Should you have a car, do you need a new one if you want to take the pram with you on a journey or is it alright to leave the children behind and fill the boot and the back seats just with this "rugged and reliable" beast? How many flat tyres, inner tubes, punctures, call it what you will, have you had to repair since owning your pushchair? How many people have you had to ram on the bus to get your "rugged and reliable pushchair" into the buggy/wheelchair park section of the bus? Have you ever taken it on a train? Where do you put it? When you go shopping, something that I know we all avoid doing with two small children, but, if buying more than a piece of dust and a feather, where do you put the rest of it? For how long do you keep pushing the pushchair in the wrong direction until the front wheel finally realises that you don't want to go down the pavement and into the middle of the road and actually sorts itself out to go in the correct/requested direction? Is it silly of me to give my children snacks in the pram and then not worry about mess because... oh no, you can't put the covers in the washing machine? But don't worry, because you can wash the cover on the handle bar, the liver shaped strap padding as well as the seat cover (that only covers the bit that the children sit on). Everything else is just a simple matter of wiping down because dirt and muck in Phil and Ted's "rugged and reliable pushchair" world just doesn't stain or look revolting. If you have theoklm brake on you only have to mildly concuss your child on the handle bar in order to get it in or out of the back of the pram. I could go on, but it just gets ridiculous.

Thirdly, looks good though!

1 comment: