Friday 22 March 2013

End of Term

Yep, it's that time of year when schools nationwide selfishly relinquish responsibility for the care of our children, it's madness. Solid weeks with your children, perish the thought, venereal disease is probably easier, but on the plus side, no school run!

I was massively excited about my eldest breaking up for the holidays, despite the fact that it means I now have two of them at home, I have gone wild in the isles for the whole thing.

Geaster (as my youngest labelled it) holidays were kicked off nicely yesterday with a monumentally long Easter celebration service. My youngest lasted about 10 whole good minutes before farting, laughing at the farts and then humming loudly, climbing under everyone's chairs and standing on my lap so that no one behind us could see. That was amazing.

We've, all three of us, decorated an Easter bag each, mine even looks like I paid attention. I've plotted out the route for our Geaster egg hunt with a trial run this weekend with friends, there's no room for error. Mary Berry has provided us with a recipe for an actual Easter cake with 11 balls of marzipan on top, one for each of the disciples (not Judas, she tells us, because, and this is my guess, he's off betraying a marzipan Jesus somewhere!) We've baked a cake recipe this morning just to see if Mary's promise of "great result every time"  really are so, proof is in the pudding.

I am, in fact, writing this sat in front of my daughter's school. I've been here for half an hour, for some reason, I really want this holiday to get under way. Bring out the panting spaniels, as far as I am concerned, I've got pointy elbows, gonna get my child first from school for this holiday even if I have to push and shove. This Easter holiday is in the bag baby, it's all a bit nuts.

I think it's some latent thing from my childhood that's rearing its head, I remember sometimes being the last child waiting, the excitement of the holidays and the things that came with it. Now I have The absolute want to make some things tradition for us all to look back on, and I think cake and pick ups are a great starting point. So, to anyone reading this, enjoy your holiday, maybe it'll be traditional maybe it'll be totally nontraditional, either way, balls out has to be the best way, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment